ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students hate/dislike me
View Single Post

mrteacherguy

Students hate/dislike me
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know that as teachers we are there to teach, not be their friends, but would be lying if I said that it didn't bother me that a fair number of my students tell me that they hate or don't like me.

This is one of the worst behaved groups of seventh graders that our admin has seen in quite a while, and they weren't much better as sixth graders (I made the mistake of moving up with them so that I could switch content areas).

When this year started, I'd made an effort to change my teaching style and attitude some, to try and be more easy going and less strict, but the way the students behave means I have to be Mr. Strict Teacher.

We're only just finishing with October, and I'm already feeling so physically and emotionally stressed. The assistant principal that oversees my grade level is pushing me to give out more to meet (students can trade them in for hot Cheetos, extra credit, bathroom passes, etc), and while I can do that, a lot of the students seem to not care about such things.

I've never been good at being the fun or outgoing teacher, so building relationships with my students has always been a struggle, but how can I work on building positive relationships when even the smallest good gesture is met with indifference or a metaphorical slap in the face?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net