ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - calling all intervention teachers
View Single Post

WGReading

Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school is making progress towards a true RTI model, so my answers are not necessarily ideal, but it's what we are doing as of now. (We only added in Tier 2 additional time last year. Before that our intervention teachers were teaching the lowest leveled reading groups and they basically stayed the same all year.)

The purpose of the groups varies, but most of our Tier reading intervention students are not in a specific intervention curriculum with a start/end. We use progress monitoring and formative assessment to monitor the students receiving interventions - as well as other students who are flagged for intervention or observation.

In general, we meet to review intervention group data and adjust placements at the mid-tri and trimester point. However, my reading team meets regularly and if there are concerns with an intervention student or group we will make changes without waiting for one of those check points. We move kids out more quickly in 1st and 2nd grade when the interventions are more about reteaching and filling in a hole - in 3-5 our intensive kids are usually in need of longer interventions.

Last year I met with the grade level teams and we created a watch list of students that I will be looking at when we return to school for inclusion in our first intervention groups of the year. They may or may not need it. We also look at beginning benchmark data (DIBELS and MAP) as well as teacher input to create those first groups.

My school is not consistent yet in terms of classroom interventions. Some of the teachers are excellent at differentiation and scaffolding and provide classroom support that likely keeps students from needing pull out intervention. Unfortunately we have a few teachers who seem to think that they should teach "down the middle" and anyone who doesn't get it should be farmed out for someone else to deal with. That is an administrative issue that is next on my list to work on with my administrator: when teachers bring up students they are concerned about, they should have documented what they have done to try to address the problems before we move to pull out interventions.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net