ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How are Title 1 and RtI connected?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Haley23, could you share the phonics based programs your is now using
In Kindergarten we are using Sounds Sensible, which is mostly a phonological awareness program developed by the Wilson company. We didn't get the materials until January, so at that point I felt like it moved a little too slowly for a lot of my kids. I think we'll be a lot more successful this school year being able to start with it right away at the beginning of the year.

We also found that we really needed to beef up the letter name/sound instruction for our kids. Sounds Sensible does some of that, but not at the level our kids needed.

For tier 3 in 1st-3rd, we were using SPIRE, which is also connected to Sounds Sensible. They bill it as a "comprehensive program," but it's 90% phonics.

For tier 2, we use 95% Group. It's very explicit and systematic phonics instruction with decodable passages included for each lesson. If you have the authority/money to get one thing, this is what I'd recommend for a title 1 program. It moves a little faster than the SPIRE lessons, the lessons are only 30 minutes, and although it's technically supposed to be "tier 2" a few of my sped groups were successful with it. IMO the lessons are also more engaging than the SPIRE lessons.

I really did not like LLI. It's not systematic nor intensive enough for kids with true reading needs, IMO. Although I haven't done a lot of digging into this myself, a lot of the PD we've had in the past couple years has said that Fountas and Pinnel is really not research based and that the "levels" are pretty arbitrary. The state has even said that DRA-2 is no longer an approved assessment.

Although we truly do teach a lot of phonics tier 1, for whatever reason decoding has always been a huge need at my school. At least half of our kids really, really struggle with learning how to read and need very direct, systematic and explicit phonics instruction. LLI just doesn't provide that. I could see it working for kids that have very few reading needs and would just benefit from a little extra exposure to reading. In my building, those kids aren't the ones being referred for intervention because we have so many needy kids. We've actually talked about giving our LLI kits to classroom teachers who need more guidance with general ed guided reading groups because we feel LLI is more appropriate for that setting.

Last edited by Haley23; 06-21-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net