ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Sped students that should stay home
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would be surprised if this happened in my area. Whenever anyone at the state level (governor, state department of ed, even the epidemiologists, etc.) talks about wanting to go back to in person one of the number one things that gets brought up is that children with disabilities need to be at school with professionals. I suspect students in sped will be in school even if other students aren't. Even when we were in full on lock down, some rural districts were providing in person sped services and the governor praised this over and over again/constantly brought it up in his briefings.

We have a self-contained Autism program at my school. The students will absolutely not distance. I also don't see mask wearing happening. Their teacher is very young and not at all worried about the virus. She asked our P if she could run her class at school last spring (P said no, but I'm not sure if that will continue for this year). Another building has a severe/multiple disabilities unit and I would guess based on my interactions with that teacher that she feels the same way ours does.

As far as students intentionally sneezing/coughing, etc. on others, I honestly worry about that even with our gen ed population. We have a lot of students in my mild/moderate program or even some that don't have IEPs with severe behaviors. All of the new regulations and uncertainties are only going to make those behaviors worse. If a kid thinks nothing of throwing a chair, they're certainly going to think nothing of coughing on someone else.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net