ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Sped students that should stay home
View Single Post

GoodEnough85

That is my class...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach MS/HS self contained and a have ten yo in there due to his behavior-

I found out that my morning is just 3 kids with additional two kids pushing in for 50 minutes each at different times... The three main kids all have autism. One is nonverbal. She will pick at her nose, ears, mouth and butt. We make her wash hands all day and sanitize frequently. We did this prior to Corona as well. She is relatively compliant but it is an all day job.

The two others with autism have some of those habits to a lesser extent with the same consequences. I am lucky the sinks have warm water in my room. None of those three will likely wear a mask successfully. But they are used to washing hands a lot.

In the afternoon, it is rougher... I have those three plus several others (up to 9 the last hour of the day.) Not ideal but there is nowhere else to send them.

I feel okay(ish.) I am not panicking at the moment. They do not do it to be malicious. They are just doing what feels good...necessary??...whatever. They are not doing it to be mean or ugly, just like scratching an itch when it happens. We have worked on this since I met them--as a hygiene issue, as a social convention, as a gross factor, as a life habit.

My concern is that we have not yet hired a para. I am concerned that no one will want that job under the circumstances...
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net