ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - first year life skills teacher
View Single Post

whatever

Life skills can be tough but you
Old 08-04-2020, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

can do this. Try to keep stress managable. Language still needs to be SIMPLE. Super simple. If your students are low enough to need this in MS, some of them maybe at the Pre-1st level in academics. Some may be more advanced but slow processors. Some maybe fine academically but no social or self care skills. Or a mix of all those things. Don't assume.

I do life skills for HS and have every level from early elementary through grade level.

We still do reading, writing and math everyday. Life skills math may focus on money and time but not always. Some can tell time but not manipulate it forward or back for planning. If it takes 45 minutes to get to the Dr's office and I need to be there at 10, when do i need to leave? If I need to be at work at 8 and it is an hour by bus, when do i leave? or forward, it I start the washer at 10 and it is a 1 hour and 15 min cycle, when will it be done?

Money could be still teaching counting and identifying denimations, gettting change back or maybe more complex like budgeting, planning, grocery shopping, and so on. If their math skills are weak, you may need to teach them how to use their calculator or calendar, how to assess resources and assistance.

Reading still focuses on Comprehension but you are including functional stuff like signs, maps, recipes (or box instructions,) applications, etc. Writing is the same...Functional.

We also work on personal space, body language, self care--personal and home, communication, and more. I wish I could say that any one curriculum would hit all these but... Most curriculums that hit the most best are also wildly expensive and more than most schools want to offer up.

Find out what the others in your school are using, what else the teacher before you used, and so on. Ask lots of questions and advocate for these students. Good luck to you.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net