ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students who should be in self-contained
View Single Post

MadiChristian

Students who should be in self-contained
Old 09-01-2020, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have not 1, but 2 students in a gen ed classroom that need to be self-contained. Like guys, these are the type of kids you feel bad leaving your gen ed teacher alone with. Because of covid our district had decided to do that wonderful thing of just shoving all of the kids from last school year into the next grade without even so much as discussing where their best placement would be. And I know we're all in rough waters and no one really knows how to handle this situation but I have 2 babies in the 3rd grade that are both working at a kindergarten level (if not lower since they haven't done any work since March). One of them I may have been able to make central office understand needs to be in self-contained but the other has reeval coming up and they're making me roll him over until spring. And yall I love these babies but they are not in the best environment for their learning. It's not fair to them that I can't give them the attention they need to meet their goals without slacking on my other babies who can be brought up to level.

I know this isn't something that can be solved on this forum but damn. I just needed to put my frustration out into the world before I go to central office and have a melt down in the lobby. And it would also be another thing if I could slip these kids some simpler, on level material and let them work independently but when I say kinder level I 100% mean it. They just don't have the maturity to work on their own without an almost constant teacher presence. It's also not like they are behavior problems (most of the time). They are sweet babies but no where near the level they need to be on to function in a reg classroom. They have no idea what social norms are and if I have to tell them to get out of other peoples faces during a pandemic or to stop laughing out loud uncontrollably in the middle of a lesson I might lose it.

MadiChristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net