ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Students who should be in self-contained
View Single Post

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I totally understand how you feel. My last year in the gen ed classroom I had a 3rd graders who didnít even know his alphabet. He wa a working at a preschool level. I couldnít even even get him an IEP. I was watching him struggle, fail and his behaviors were increasing. He was getting suspended left and right and then not getting an IEP due to absences from suspensions. We were failing him left and right. It was appalling.

I had one with an IEP working at a kinder level. She needed to be moved to a self contained class. Like your sweet girl, her learning had stagnated. She just wasnít making gains. She needed more one on one attention than she could get in gen ed.

Getting kids moved in my old district was impossible. Not next to impossible, it was impossible. When I met about getting my girl moved, I was told she needed to fail more before she could be moved.

Itís so hard when we know whatís best for the kidís, but we canít do anything about it. Iím sorry youíre dealing with this. For me, itís one of the most frustrating things about Sped.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net