ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - IEP meetings where case manager and service provider are not the same person
View Single Post

Haley23

IEP meetings where case manager and service provider are not the same person
Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hoping someone has some insight because I know in some places it is common to have a separate person who is only "case manager." Here, sped teachers are case managers, so in meetings I am used to both running the meeting and being the person who provides services for the child/knows all of the ins and outs about the child.

Due to covid and cohorting rules, that's no longer the case. I'm case manager for everybody, but I'm only providing direct services for two grade levels. The other grade levels are having services provided by interventionists that are assigned to those cohorts (this is allowed under ESSA).

So for meetings, do I provide the structure of the meeting but let the interventionist who is actually working with the child do most of the talking about things like present levels and needs? Or do I use the information I've gotten from the interventionist ahead of time and present the information while allowing them to "jump in" as needed? This situation just feels awkward to me either way. I know this is common in other places, but I hate having to write IEPs for kids I don't work with- especially considering for some of the oldest grades, I don't even know them at all (if they moved in later).

In the past sometimes an interventionist and I both worked with the kid, but in that case I obviously still knew the child extremely well, and the interventionists typically haven't come to meetings. I think I'm going to have to do a lot of training on what it needs to look like if they do most of the talking. I am picturing moments where I naively told a classroom teacher they could present pieces from a parent/teacher conference in present levels, and they proceeded to spend 30 minutes explaining in great detail every piece of paper the child ever wrote on .

If your case manager/service provider are separate people, how does it work for you?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net