ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Online learning help for students who DON'T have modifications
View Single Post

Haley23

Online learning help for students who DON'T have modifications
Old 11-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, we're now in remote learning (transitioned this week after being in person, except for quarantines, all year). Like in many other places, the district expectations are now a ton of synchronous instruction with asynchronous "work time" built in.

Unsurprisingly, many of my students with IEPs are having a super hard time and I'm starting to get complaints from teachers. In person, our services are all pull out. For remote this year, I'm doing all direct zoom services, and I think the service times are actually going really well. So I don't want to make changes to that or somehow switch to "supporting" the classroom, especially since that's not what the services look like in any scenario and my kids desperately need the direct instruction at their level. I'm in 1st-2nd and they're all with me because they can't read in the first place even after TONS of intervention.

I think the amount of work is just way overwhelming for my kids, and for many of them, it's way, way above their level. Our parents have actually done a way better job than I expected of getting kids on zoom at the right time, but most aren't in a position to provide schoolwork help, for a variety of reasons. On the one hand I feel like a lot of it is just a waste of time for my kids and the teachers are obsessing over them not completing things that truthfully the kids just don't have the skills to complete. On the other hand, we're not allowed to put modifications on IEPs, so I don't feel like I can say they don't have to do it, or they can do this alternate activity instead, or they only have to do half of it, etc.

We do have a sped para available, and he's awesome, but it's one person for a K-6 school...

Any suggestions? Things that work for your kids? I feel like teachers are looking to me for answers that I just don't have.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net