ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - students arguing with teacher
View Single Post

Kishkumen

students arguing with teacher
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A student talks too much, so I ask him to move his assigned seat to another table
The student refuses to move.
I repeat the instruction, but the student tries to argue, bargain, and otherwise delay hoping I'll just give up and him stay there.

Now I'm in a power struggle with the student. The entire lesson has stopped to deal with one student.

Yesterday I caught an 8th grader eating cheetos in my class. I asked for her to hand them to me, and she could have them back at the end of the day. She refused. Then she said "okay, I'll put them in my backpack". I didn't argue with her, but repeated the instruction. Then she said she took the bus, so she couldn't get them back. She thought she should be except from consequences because they were inconvenient to her!

I don't argue with students. I just repeat the instruction again. And again. And again. And again. The students argue with me.

What do you do when students refuse to follow direct instructions? This happens daily in several classes (I teach k-8 art, with about 30 classes seen over the week).

Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net