ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - student messing with my job security
View Single Post

SpeedLimit62

Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Were you hired specifically to fulfill para IEP minutes for this student? Are they "dedicated" or "shared" minutes? Just today I had an IEP meeting for one of my students that had a "dedicated" para all day long. I changed this from dedicated to shared minutes and decreased the amount of minutes that she was with him per day. The student was making great growth. When a para is with a student constantly I believe they should have such significant needs that they are unable to be alone, without major complications. For example, if the student has a medical need that where their health or safety is in jeopardy then I believe a 1:1 dedicated para could be necessary. However if like your student he is growing majorly and he is starting to use the supports in place independently... the first step would be to change it from being a 1:1 dedicated para to a shared or classroom para. That way you are there in case something goes wrong and you are still there for support... but you can help and work with other students as well.

Keep in mind that if the IEP is changed and he does go from having you to himself, to just having a classroom para.. that if something happened and he didn't do well the IEP could always be revised. Hopefully good data is being taken on both sides. Data that shows it's time to give him less support and then data showing the classroom para for support is effective.

Even if you lose him as a student and for some reason they don't have another student for you with IEP minutes to fill. You will have the success from this student as data and evidence of the results you helped to produce. When you go to the next school looking for a job, be sure to bring it up and tell everyone how successful you were with your current student!
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net