ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Feeling Invisible by Those Trying to be Dominant
View Single Post

twin2

Not good
Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry you poured your heart out and your post seems to have gone unnoticed. The para board doesn't seem to have a lot of activity so it can take a while to get a response. I am a former para who became a teacher, so the para board does interest me too.

It's sad that a coworker can be so controlling that others feed off of them. It's sad that people like you are negatively affected by someone else's need to get noticed. As a para, I experienced that for one school year but that para was moved out. I was given the impression by an administrator that she was moved out for not being a team player. My sister has experienced that sort of nonsense most of the time she has been at the school she works.

Para roles are valuable and should be respected. By the same token, substitute roles are valuable and should be respected. Your para "friend" seems to gain power by hurting others. That's really sad. Like you, I have also witnessed subs being criticized for things that are out of their control. Sometimes as you've said, the sub isn't given what they need to do the job. As a sub, I hated when a teacher left busy work and didn't allow me to teach. I understand teachers try to make the day easier for everyone, but a lack of structure for the day can cause more problems, and when it does, it's the substitute that gets blamed. Then if a para trashes the sub to the teacher, that teacher may believe them because they did not witness things themselves.

The way I've always tried to handle my work situation is to not let things get to me. I do my best with my job duties and I try not to become involved in the drama. Most times, if given time enough, people will see people for who they really are. I have earned respect because I don't get involved in the drama. Sometimes it's easier to just accept that certain people act the way they do and to expect it. You can't let it get to you. Accept it, get rid of it. Move on.

I assume school is out of will be out for you soon. Maybe next year's assignment will be better, having already experienced this work bully. At the least you know what to expect. One thing is for sure, every school year seems to be different from others. Maybe things will be different enough next school year that you won't get frustrated by this para.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net