ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Complete and utter apathy
View Single Post

mrteacherguy

Complete and utter apathy
Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I realize that apathy in general is part and parcel with teaching middle school, and that it being a poverty population compounds that, but the 7th grade group we currently have takes it to a whole new level.

We regularly have between 10 and 15 kids in lunch detention everyday for disrespect and/behaviors, but more often than not itís from the same pool of high flyers; losing lunch and recess with their friends doesnít seem to phase them.
Removing them from class and sending them to RTC (Responsible Thinking Classroom) doesnít work because itís the same ones time after time, and some of them want to get sent out and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.
Calling home has very little impact, often times resulting in little more than the parent saying ďIíll talk to themĒ and the behaviors continuing.
Grades only matter to those that care about their learning, because most of them have learned that they can fail all of their classes and they will still be passed on to the next grade.

In the face of all this lazy-I-donít-care attitude, how are we supposed to have any impact? Iím spending all of my time dealing with behaviors and putting into place different incentives, and none of it seems to make any real difference. The students that do care are getting shortchanged if not outright deprived of their learning.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net