ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher
View Single Post

Mshope

Welcome
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure exactly what you are going to be teaching. I teach geography which can get a little dull. I like to tie our subject manner into current events to make it as relevant as possible. Also, we shy away from having students memorize countries and facts in a region and do a lot of projects. I've learned to give students a criteria and let them go. We do simulations, skits, plays, presentations, web quests, and a lot of packets to start out each unit. We do the reading and the vocabulary today mostly. I've started to let kids make their own study guide in groups. Most of our tests and quizzes are open notes or open packet.

We don't really have a text book, so we use resources from a variety of sources. I really like Newsela to level the articles for all students. I might have life skills, emotional support, physically disabled, learning support, gifted, and regular education students together in one class. I love how the students include every child in their groups.

The challenges I have with this type of class are that it is hard when you have kids who are frequently absent. Since we have no book, making copies can be grueling. Also, I don't have a lot of space to display the projects. Although the content can at times be a bit dull, we power through it. I also incorporate a lot of video clips, music, and newspaper articles into the class.

My advice is to drill rules and procedures at the start of school. I stop an activity if kids are misusing the supplies or off-task. I like to include checkpoints, like, "Raise your hand when your group has your plan do. I will approve it." I start out picking groups and partners (sometimes random, something not) at the start of the year, by the end, they are usually find choosing their own partners. I started to check that kids completed the assignment and then letting them self-check it with the answer key. Sometimes I would "surprise" collect and score things to keep kids on their toes.

The number #1 thing my classes seem to love about ss are the review games. I started to let the kids write some questions and "run" the game toward the end of the year. Again, if the game gets out of control, stop it. I remind my students how to act basically every class. Seventh graders can turn into monsters on a dime, but overall they are enthusiastic and will appreciate a class that includes a little more choice.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net