ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - American Revolution for 5th grade
View Single Post

crockpotqueen

Paul Revere
Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Jean Fritz books on this subject would be good to use. The Paul Revere one is our reading book and my kids really enjoy the story. It has some funny parts and it is certainly action packed. I made up questions to go with it and use it for both SS and reading grades.

I really like teaching about Paul Revere. He's such a likable character and is sort of an unsung hero outside of Massachusetts. I showed my students his portrait by John Singleton Copley and they marveled at the artists ability to paint such a lifelike picture, too.

I didn't do it this year, but other years, I've had students do a RAFT project on the story. Students choose a point of view (could be very creative... like Paul's horse talking to another horse in the barn), the format (could be a funeral eulogy, a letter, a talk show...) to kind of summarize the story. Kids that are really into it might do additional research.

I like to call attention to the type of character our founding fathers had.... they were really determined, go getters and very hard workers. What if that had not been so? Where would we be today if they hadn't been so passionate and determined? I tell my students that we can really learn a lesson from them, about hard work and selflessness. No- they weren't perfect people, of course.... from what it sounds like (you'll see if you read the story), Paul Revere might have had ADD! Poor George Washington - his jaws are swollen in many of his portraits due to the condition of his teeth.

Anyway, enjoy the unit. Sounds like fun to me!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net