ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Writing!!!
Thread: Writing!!!
View Single Post

Ally

Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read an excellent book about writing workshops in the primary classroom over the summer, called No More! I'm Done (the book was at PT recommendation and I loved the title bc so many of my first graders said that to me last year...lol...or the ever-popular "Is this enough?")

I am very excited to implement a writers' workshop this year. One of the main points of the book is that kids (and adults!) are more motivated to write when they choose the topic. Of course as a class we will have to brainstorm a list of ideas for those kids who will inevitably be stuck to think of something.

The author also really recommended what the previous poster said...focus on one writing skill or trait at a time as it can be too overwhelming for small children to be faced with many things to change. The author does a daily message with the class and uses that time to focus on conventions such as spacing, punctuation etc and uses her conference times to focus on the other traits.

I think the main thing I want to convey to my grade ones this year is that people write to share their ideas and the stories about their life/or stories in their imaginations. We will have many mini lessons on this so they understand that what they have to say is interesting and others want to hear it! The author also recommends an Author's Chair which motivates kids to share their work with others.

I am really looking forward to writing this year! I hope it goes great for you too!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net