ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Social Studies
Thread: Social Studies
View Single Post

kyteacher1

Social Studies Units
Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For the first 12 weeks we do these units and I basically do entire lessons around read alouds.

Being a Good Citizen at School and Home which includes learning about rules and responsibilities and consequences. There is a good set of books if you can find them at your local library by Cheri Meiners that discuss good character building.

There is also a book called 'Being A good Citizen" that discuss what good citizens do.
The David books are fun for 1st grade.

Then I do one week called All About Me and I read What Makes Me special (or something like that?) and buy a class set of those all about me posters for kids to complete at home for a project grade and we share them.

I do unit on that book officer Gloria and something -- brain not working tonight - and we discuss laws and why people need to follow them.

Then we do "We are special and we are different" and we discuss family units and how other cultures are alike and different from our own.

Finally around end of october I will probably do a mini unit on Elections since this is a presidental election year.

I would focus on finding some good books to read aloud then plan lessons around the books.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net