ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Lent
Thread: Lent
View Single Post

yowz

Story of the three trees and others
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used to teach first. I miss it entirely too much and have since moved on to a public school, but here are some of the things we used to do...

One of the favorites was the story of the thre trees. That is a great book.

We discuss it and trusting what the Lord has planned for us and being open to listening to Him. I was always amazed by the things these kids brought up during these discussions.

We used to Read, Color, and Pray the Stations of the Cross at least once a week. We would also pray a decade of the rosary once a day. Last year I think we passed a Rosary around through out the school and each week a different grade got the Rosary and prayed for a Different country for the week. That was neat.

Now we usually did this during Advent, but I don't see why it couldn't be done during Lent instead...
We made each other class some unique gift. I know we made fifth graders some cross necklaces (but that was for graduation) I dont remember all the gifts, but they loved making things for "the big kids." We also had something called the traveling Advent bag (easy to Change to the Lent bag). In the bag I had some books about the upcoming holiday or Season, an Advent wreath, a disposal camera and a dessert. Each family that wanted to participate sent in a note with any allergies in the family and how many family members needed dessert. The first night I made dessert for a family (usually the one with an allergy so I could control what went home). Then the next night the student and family would enjoy it and make dessert for the next family. I sent home a calendar so the families knew when to expect the bag home, how many desserts to make, and which family was next. This was a HUGE hit. I remember my first year doing this, one little boy asked a girl what her favorite dessert was so he could make her very favorite! It was so sweet! Families also took pictures of their night making desserts together or eating together or something else, but it was always together as a family... at the end it was so fun to develop those pictures and see them all with their families, in their pjs sharing a book or making dessert or something. Great activity. I miss my first graders!!!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net