ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Questions as a new special ed teacher - Help!!!
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Creating lesson plans based on students IEP goals makes sense, but it seems difficult when the goals are all different. Should I start with one task or concept that will help some students ans then move to another task that will help others? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this and it's hard.

Should I do this for both LA and Math?

Here are questions I have relating to examples with my students:
For example, one student's IEP says they will correctly answer 2 digit by 2 digit multiplication problems with three or less verbal prompts in 4/5 opportunities. The other student's IEPs state they will correctly answer 2 digit by 1 digit multiplication problems. The one student is the only one needing extra help with 2 digit by 2 digit. Some students IEP goals also include accuracy when solving subtraction problems with regrouping. When the students first come into the classroom for resource, they work on multiplication problems I put up on the board for bell work. I don't think it would be appropriate to write a few 2 digit by 2 digit for the one student and tell the others to work on 2 digit by 1 digit instead. Since 2 digit by 1 digit is a goal for the others, I'm assuming it's best to focus on that goal for them. Should I move on and teach 2 digit by 2 digit for all students or switch to subtraction with regrouping? What is the best way to handle this?
For writing, the goals say students should write two well formed paragraphs with correct sentence structure, spelling, punctuation. When I gave students a prompt (a few times already), they only wrote two sentences with multiple errors. I understand this is difficult for students and they often ‘give up’ or ‘freeze up’ and don’t want to write anymore. How can I focus on this goal or help improve it if I am only getting two sentences from students?
I’m really, really wanting to focus on students’ IEP goals as much as I can, but I’m finding it difficult with the variety of goals and levels for each student. Please give me any suggestions, tips, or help relating to this.

Last edited by musicmeg222; 03-23-2019 at 09:51 AM..
musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net