ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Deciding who is pulled
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is no "hard line" here, but it's definitely not just up to the gen ed teacher. Some of them definitely push for whatever they want, but I don't let them just get whatever that is if it doesn't make sense.

We do everything in intervention blocks. Ideally, I try to see my comparatively "higher" kids during those intervention blocks when all students are in different small groups. That way they're not actually missing anything in gen ed. Meanwhile, I try to put my lowest kids with an interventionist during those blocks and then pull them separately at a different time, so they're getting a triple dip.

I try to consider how much a child is getting out of gen ed instruction vs. how much they need the direct instruction in pull outs. I teach K-3. A 2nd or 3rd grader who is still very much learning how to read would be a child I see in extra pull outs. A 1st or K student who is needing millions of exposures to learn basics like letter names and sounds would be a kid I see in extra pull outs. I have some 3rd graders who are almost meeting grade level fluency and accuracy benchmarks. Those students only see me during intervention blocks. My K students who know almost all of their letter names and sounds see me during intervention block. Those who are really struggling to learn those see an interventionist during intervention block and me at a separate pull out.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net