ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - how much play time in your schedule?
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 06-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
So what do your centers/ literacy groups look like content wise?
My academic center time depends on the time of year. Sep-Dec my kids go to one center per day, and then have a choice of "may-do" activities when they are done. Centers are heterogenous and are me (reading skills or guided writing), a parent (usually some kind of game), ipad (Lexia), and one other independent center that goes with our unit of study. The "may-do" activities are all literacy based but more open ended or hands-on. Games they have learned, magnetic letters to build sight words, a small sensory bin with some sort of activity to go with it, blank books, read to a stuffed animal, handwriting pages, lots of cutting and gluing activities, write the room, puzzles, stuff like that. In January we change to a must-do/may-do format, and they have 3-4 activities that they must do, and then they have the choice of the may-do when they are done with them all. I pull homogenous groups (from 2-7 kids) to work on literacy skills and guided reading, and I still have a parent helper pulling one group per day.

My play time is just play time, and they have free choice. I've never liked dictating what they must play with or how many kids can play at one place. Learning to navigate those things is a huge part of their social learning. I might pull them to do an art project, but never to do intervention or academics. I like to sit and play with them, ask questions, help with social issues, or just enjoy the magic of kinder.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net