ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Selling yourself as a resource teacher
View Single Post

Lillybabe

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

According to what one of the special education teachers at my school said resource may be disappearing anyway. According to her, special ed. teachers (maybe only in my state?) are now required to do direct instruction based on CC standards. This means she's no longer allowed to help students finish assignments for their classroom teachers, provide homework help, etc. From what I've seen this is what I've seen resource teachers do. They have been the ones who make sure students have materials, fill out planners, use their schedules, etc. At least in our school at the Junior High level the special education teachers with resource caseloads spend all of their time helping students keep up with coursework rather than actually doing much direct instruction.

As far as how to get a resource job, I have no idea. In most areas special education jobs are hard to fill. In my area we're actually talking about cutting positions as many teachers have very small caseloads.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net