ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Camping meals
Thread: Camping meals
View Single Post

twin2

BBQ Hawaiian Chicken
Old 08-02-2021, 07:08 AM

I thought it would be great to precook chicken breasts and make BBQ Hawaiian Chicken sandwiches at the campsite. I like the idea of rewarming meat from the cooler, rather than cooking it there. At the last minute we decided to bring the grandchildren and a child living in their home. All are big eaters, so I decided to make a dish we could eat with a fork to save on chicken. It was a hit and a new favorite.

I boiled 2 pounds of chicken breast, then sliced into chunks. I dumped the water, put the chicken back into the pan, added garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. I added pineapple chunks with juice, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, onion, and bell peppers. I simmered all of that until the bell peppers were tender, but it probably would have been quicker to saute bell peppers before adding all the other ingredients. After it was cool, I put it into a plastic storage container, but a zip lock bag would be great if you don't want the problem of bring back an empty dish. We buried the container in the cooler and at the campsite dumped it into a camp pot and let it warm over the fire. It is an enameled steel pot and we kept it stirred as it heated. I was afraid with the sugar, the pot would be hard to clean, but it cleaned up easily. Anyway, if I have time to make that before a camping trip, Its easily enough rewarmed by the campfire.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net