ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Desperately need help
View Single Post

Youthcantknow

behavior issue
Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think there's a few possibilities here: Either he's got an undiagnosed learning issue and you'll be the person who gets that ball rolling this year, or he hasn't been parented well at all, or he's just one of those kids who pushes boundaries. If he was in my class, I would ask the aide to focus most of her attention on him for now. It's unfair that the rest of the kids (and you) won't benefit from her help, but at least you'll have a somewhat more functional classroom. It's a temporary solution, though, as you obviously can't go the entire year with her focused on one child, but the rest of kids need protection and you need some relief.

I would also have a meeting with the child's parents/guardians asap. You need to see how they react with him and whether they will be a useful ally or rather useless. Do they correct him when he misbehaves during your meeting or do they let him get away with it? Do they have any idea for effective incentives? Has he ever been evaluated before/kicked out of preschool/youngest in his family/difficult situation at home right now/etc.? Has he had his hearing tested?

Do you have a guidance counselor available in your school? Get that person involved if he/she exists. Alert your principal to the fact that he leaves places, just in case he becomes a runner.

He may never have been in any kind of group activity in his life and might be completely overwhelmed. I would keep going about your day, giving directions, repeating rules or expectations, and relying on your aide. I think K teachers have an incredibly challenging job; not only are your students really little, you guys are often the first people to meet them in a school setting. Every other grade benefits from carefully considered class lists while you get a much more random grouping. Best of luck to you this year as you try to settle this guy into K.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net