ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - child who cannot focus/sit still
View Single Post

emgirl

child who cannot focus/sit still
Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a boy in my class who in all my years of teaching I have never seen a child this bad who just can't sit still/focus. I talked to his teacher last year and she said he needs to move constantly otherwise no other advice. I have tried different chairs, standing, put weight on his lap, sitting close to me, giving him breaks. He just struggles. It's gotten to the point that it is affecting his work. I have seen his reading and math skills go down dramatically. I have tried talking to his parents but they say he gets like this when he is bored. I talked to them at conference but they didn't give much input (just sat and nodded). I am really at a loss on how to help him now. I think mom and dad are in denial and don't want to admit there is an issue. The work I send home shows that he is not doing well.
I am not one of those people who always believes that a child needs meds to help them but there is no question in my mind that he has ADHD and would benefit from some help. I know I can't say anything about ADHD but any advice on how I can get mom and dad to see that he is struggling??? His mom does come and help so she sees how he is in class too and doesn't seemed concerned. She just tells him to do his work.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net