ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - outrageous - teacher on medical leave has to pay for her own sub
View Single Post

GoodEnough85

I think it is seems fair in this instance
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

If they are still paying her a check after her leave days are gone. They could have made her go on unpaid FMLA instead. In the positions that fully pay the sub, the teacher did not get paid as well. I don't think it is fair to everyone else to continue to pay her her check and pay the sub too.

One time way back in 1996, I had a job as a social worker. I was paid a flat monthly salary assuming I worked my 40 hour weeks and covered my absences with leave time.

Well, I was pregnant and had to go on leave two weeks before the birth due to bedrest. Baby and I used up all of my leave-sick leave, personal days, and accrued flextime time before the next month's allotment was earned. (We earned 10 hours a month that added on at the first of each month.) I thought, "No big deal-so I'll have one day without pay..."

Holy sh!t! They took a HUGE bite out of my check. The day off involved was in February. We still got off work for Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays separately. So they took my monthly amount and divided it by the number of work hours in that very short FEBRUARY and subtract 8x that amount. In other words, a day off in February cost me almost TWICE as much as the same day in like August...

And we didn't even get to have subs--my work just piled up til the next day.
GoodEnough85 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net