ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - outrageous - teacher on medical leave has to pay for her own sub
View Single Post

Sprite

Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
I'm in California. This is what is done and it makes sense to me unless there is something I do not understand. Please let me know if I do not.

We are under contract for the school year. We have a set amount of days that we earn for sick days, personal necessity, etc. If we have a serious illness AND we have donate sick days to a sick day bank we can have colleagues within our district donate their sick days to us. If we do not receive any or we have burned through was was given to us we need to pay for our sub, which in my district is probably around a $120/day. Just a guess. I'm not sure. Please keep in mind that we are still paid our contracted money. All we are asked to do is pay for our sub out of that money. How is that not a good deal? I've worked in many jobs outside of teaching. You run out of sick days you get no paycheck. So again, how is this not a good deal?
I think it sounds like a GOOD deal. We don't get anything if we run out of sick days. I got in a bad accident my 2nd year of teaching and was on FMLA for about 5 weeks. After my 10 days leave I got nothing, no salary. I was paid about $200 for over 4 months .. because the money I did make had to be used to pay for my health insurance, union dues etc and then 5 days of leave was deducted for each check leaving me with about $200 left. You get nothing if you have no days. This is exactly how it works if you go on maternity leave. You get nothing and you cannot use the sick bank. I couldn't use it for my most recent maternity leave and I couldn't use it for when I got in the accident.

Quote:
We don’t pay for a sub here but if you are out on leave (no maternity leave here— just FMLA) you use your sick days and any days after that are leave without pay. You also have to pay the district your portion of your insurance while you’re out.
Exactly this. We also don't get short term or long term disability insurance.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net