ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hybrid health
Thread: Hybrid health
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Disclaimer: We're now remote, but we were in person up until this week/about 10 weeks:

Our custodians have some cleaner that they carry around in little back packs and just constantly spray all day long. As someone who sees different small groups all day, I'm responsible for cleaning my room in between every group. I thought that sounded like a huge PITA and it honestly isn't that big of a deal. I spray the tables and chairs down before walking one group back, and then when I come back with the next group, I wipe off any remaining cleaner while the kids wash their hands. We're not doing shared supplies so I don't have to worry about those.

As far as spacing, our kids got really used to the direction "check your space." They spread out their arms to help them. We were told that only 3 feet is necessary for kids (we're supposed to be 6 feet from them), so it's not as big of a deal. Every classroom has spaced out dots on the floor for kids to line up on. We're also now doing whole class bathroom breaks so we can make sure there aren't multiple cohorts in the bathroom at once. There are spaced out dots in the hallway where kids sit and wait their turn.

We are using the cafeteria and playground. I honestly don't understand all of the schools having kids eating in classrooms- all together in one tiny room, unmasked. Not only does the teacher not get a break that way, but how unsafe for the teacher! We have plexiglass set up in the cafeteria and kids are spaced. Our lunch/recess used to be 40 minutes and now it's 35 to allow for cleaning between groups. We also have K eating at 10:30 and 6th eating at 1 something- not ideal, but still better than eating in classrooms, IMO. At recess, kids do not use the large play structures as we don't have time to clean them between each group.

Our specials teachers are assigned to one cohort for the entire quarter. So this past quarter, my cohort had the art teacher. Those kids went to art every single day. Then second quarter they go to a new special, 3rd quarter the next one, etc. This allowed specials to not cross cohorts. We are using the specials classrooms. Just like my room, they are sprayed inbetween each group. Kids wash their hands when they come in and when they leave, which also allows time for spraying/wiping to happen.

We were originally told that either the cohort was quarantined or the cohort was in person, and had that held, it would have worked perfectly. However, that's not what happened in practice at all. They got it to where really only one individual class was quarantined if there was an exposure. I totally understand the rationale behind wanting to keep the others in person if you can, but it was a nightmare for non-classroom teachers like me, who then had to deal with some of our kids being quarantined/remote and some being in person. Because the specials teacher was always exposed to whoever it was, she had to quarantine each and every time as well. Our P taught Art for a couple of weeks and then they finally got a dedicated daily sub just for specials. There was not rhyme or reason behind exposures/quarantines- we'd kind of assumed it would be heavier in the older grades and that's not what happened. In my 1st-2nd grade cohort, 3 of the 4 gen ed classes quarantined at some point. Our k and 5th-6th cohorts never had to quarantine, and only one class in the 3rd-4th cohort did.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net