ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Frustrated with Student Teaching
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome! I have had many student teachers, and each experience is a little different. But no matter how wonderful, it is really hard to give up control!

As WGReading said, what does your calendar look like in terms of your role? The ones our TC's have is very specific, and outlines how many lessons they should be planning and teaching each day, week, etc. It slowly builds until they completely take over the class for two weeks at the end. My current TC has been with me since January. She started by running a small group each morning, then slowly took over the things we do every day such as morning meeting. Now she is teaching the bulk of the day and will take over the class in a week and a half. This should be clear, and if it is not it's not the fault of your cooperating teacher but your program.

As for evaluations, you are just learning. Don't be discouraged by scores. The fact that you were told you did well means a lot.

As for your mental health issues, I guess I would say it would be good to inform your CT if you think it will help and you have a good relationship. It's not something you need to disclose, but if it feels like it's affecting your ability to teach it might be helpful for her so she can support you as much as possible.

Good luck!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net