ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching reading in grade 4
View Single Post

cathy1206

Teaching reading in grade 4
Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Currently we are using Lucy Calkins to teach reading. Honestly, I hate it. I really feel it does nothing to support reading foundation skills. I am struggling to gauge student progress. Our whole school used to be on this program but kindergarten and first grade are using something else and now third grade has found a different program. I was hoping to connect with third grade but others on my grade level donít want to put in the work to change. This is all they have ever taught(newer teachers). I really love students at the fourth grade level but these coworkers are forcing me to consider a change.

We use the workshop model but I would like something else to gauge comprehension and demonstrate mastery of basic foundation reading skills (main ideas, supporting details, plot, etc.)

What are other fourth grade teachers using to teach reading. Our district will not buy new readers but third grade has found something on Teachers Pay Teachers along with purchasing mentor texts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

cathy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net