ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching reading in grade 4
View Single Post

cathy1206

Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I loved when we used whole class novels. I knew the stories so I could assess better when students were actually reading and comprehending. But administrative changes and a new curriculum director forced us to use a workshop model. I teach from a story but when students read independently they choose their own books. So I have 21 students reading 21 different books. Some are poor choices and some who donít like to read continually read the same books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I know students like this series but I donít feel it helps growth in reading. Others, especially boys, tend to only want to read informational.

I feel I am really struggling and since others at my level donít complain because they donít want to ďrock the boatĒ I feel alone. What I am hoping to find is something to use once a week to provide a window. We started with Read Works but I tried to take these tests and found the questions confusing. My class average was 63 and that just does not represent their ability. I have refused to use them because I feel it is setting them up to fail and does not help to support comprehension. Any other suggestions would help. Thanks

cathy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net