ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Moving from 6th to 1st
View Single Post

linda2671

First grade is wonderful.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It will be a bit of a shock when you first start teaching first grade. You have to explain everything very thoroughly, including definitions of many words. Never assume they know anything. Also, don't put anything on or in their desks the first day of school that you don't want them to take home.
You will be amazed at the everyday progress that you see in first graders. It's so exciting to see them come in as babies, and leave with so many new skills.
The first week of school, I do lots of brain breaks and read alouds. Then I gradually decrease those as their attention spans get longer. You will need to practice routines a lot to make sure they understand them. Bathroom routines, recess rules and routines, rules for sitting on the carpet listening to a lesson.
First graders will love you and think you're beautiful no matter what. They love to hear your personal stories.
My favorite thing to teach in first grade is writing. I think that if first graders see your excitement about reading their stories and about teaching them how to write stories, they will love it. If they sense that you don't like it, they will hate it. They need a chance to write down their thoughts without fear of judgement or criticism.
You will love first graders. I hope you enjoy it.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net