ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Moving from 6th to 1st
View Single Post

Teach-in-1st

Going to 1st from 6th
Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi! Congratulations! I have so much respect for those who can teach older students! This year will be my sixth year teaching 1st. I love it, but it is definitely a challenge! They are talkers, let me tell ya and have an attention span of about 1 minute. However, first thing of advice is decide what type of behavior management you will implement. Clip Chart? Class Dojo? No system? If you need any resource, this is one to read: Michael Linsin, he is a behavior management guru, if you will, and I have learned so much! I am concentrating more on character education this year and doing away with the clip chart and going back to Dojo, but all the positives will be character education related... Good citizen, team player, hard worker, honest, etc.
Like the previous post, Guided Reading is the key point of 1st grade. We use Dolch sight word list and I will be implementing Sight Word 60 this year (compliments of Kindergarten Smorgasbord). If students can recognize their sight words, the fluency and reading level will increase.
Centers is another major necessity in the lower elementary grades. Research how you want to organize the center rotations, so your guided reading will run smoothly. It's not easy, but after 6th graders, I'm sure you'll have this in the bag!
Lastly, always plan too much and just know that the best laid plans are always subject to change, especially when you have so many interruptions!

Good luck!
Robin
Teach-in-1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net