ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Really striking out with interviews.
View Single Post

sterlingsun

Really striking out with interviews.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I had an interview today with an IU/Intermediate Unit (basically an non-profit entity that works with public schools to staff them with special educators, related services, etc). When I applied it was for a pool of positions under "Special Education Teacher." So the interview went very well. I had them smiling and laughing at the end and they've even started checking up on my references. The problem:

I asked if they could let me know what areas they were hiring for (learning support, emotional support, life skills, etc). They said they had two positions open a K-2 Early Intervention position and a K-2 Multiple Disabilities Support position. I am not certified in those grades and don't have a background in either. I know they have copies of my resume and certification on file, so it states what cert I have on there and I double checked the posting and it didn't say anything about elementary grades or any grades for that matter specifically.

I didn't raise the question there that I wasn't certified in those grades and what they would look like. I know waivers and emergency certs are sometimes common if they need teachers, so that could be a possibility. If I get a second interview I'll dig deeper and make sure to mention my cert grades. I can't imagine that they only have two positions open. They're always strapped for teachers in all areas and grades. Just a shame if it really is only the two because I wouldn't take either position.

sterlingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net