ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Clip Chart Behavior System
View Single Post

readerleader

clip chart
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If a child were to draw my attention to something "good" they did, that would be reason enough for me NOT to move their clip. The whole idea is that they do the right thing because it is the right thing. The chart is just supposed to be a visual reminder to keep them on track. I do not report colors to parents because it is the chart is for the child, not them. How do you report to a parent that a child was on "ready to learn" at the end of the day if they moved down and back up? The parent will assume that Johnny was an angel that day. I tell parents that I will communicate with them if and when I have behavior issues. In other words, no news is good news. (I do call with good news occasionally, not just bad.) I try to remember to recognize positive things, but it just doesn't always happen. I do not worry if nobody gets to outstanding. That should be a really hard thing to do! If they are "ready to learn" all day long, then they have met my expectation. I know we all like to reward children for doing the right thing, but what we really should be doing is building an intrinsic sense of pride. I have no treasure box, stickers, extra playtime, etc. My children beam with pride when I tell them in a quiet voice that I am proud of them for making good decisions.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net