ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How to make this work with departmentilization
View Single Post

AddieJ

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You brought up another point, the clip chart is not developmentally appropriate. I've seen kinders throw tantrums for being told to move a clip! How can that be helpful - it only seems to cause problems. I would understand that a 5th grader would be embarrassed if they had to move a clip - I'd be embarrassed at that age too!

I'm sorry you are in that kind of situation - no, you don't want to rock the boat by telling other teachers they are "wrong" for using the clip system but explaining to them your reasons for not wanting to use it can seem like you're belittling them and you could step on toes. You don't want to burn bridges with people you see everyday. WOW - that's a lot of analogies in one paragraph!!
Maybe you could share some links to helpful RC articles and just message it as, "I found these articles helpful and I wanted to pass them along..." Help people start thinking about logical consequences and other modes of "discipline" but not in an overt, pushy kind of way...

Could you display the clip chart in your room but just not use it?? Do the students coming in to your room have some kind of chart in your room? I teach kindergarten and I have the same group all day so I don't know much about having different groups during the day.

I can see how the children could move a clip after receiving a consequence but the two really cancel each other out/you don't need both. I would think people that use the clip chart see "moving a clip" as a consequence. I wonder if children move a clip AND have another consequence? It seems like overkill to me. I have heard teachers say the clip chart is a visual reminder for THEM so they know who has had warnings. Really?? I know who in my room has had reminders and I don't want anyone who walks in to know that information so I don't display it.
SORRY for getting off on a tangent - as you can maybe see, I don't like clip charts!

I hope you can find a solution...I'll think on it too.
In the end, you have to do what you know is right for the students. Higher-ups may say everyone has to use the clip chart but if in your gut you know it's not right, then go with your gut. Keep working where you are and continue to make a POSITIVE impact on your students!!! Maybe co-workers will take notice that you have super well-behaved kiddos and will start asking questions Not that RC is the answer to everything but it's definately a good start!!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net