ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How to make this work with departmentilization
View Single Post

ILuvTeaching9

Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is the first year our grade will be departmentalized. I am assuming that when we flip-flop, the class will take their charts with them. So, when my kids aren't with me, they'll have to move their clips anyway. I just feel like that will breed more inconsistency and confusion for them if I do RC. The colors on the clip chart match up with a section in their planners. They can circle at the end of the day what color they were on. It's a way to let parents know what kind of day they had. I feel like if I don't use it, parents will assume their child was an angel all day, which may not have been the case. The clip chart we have goes like this:
Silver- "Soaring to new heights" (students move UP to this if they are doing an exceptional job. They get a special stamp in their planner for being on this color.)
Green- "Keep going" (students start on this color and stay on it as long as they do what they're supposed to)
Yellow- "Warning" (students move down to this if they've already received a verbal warning and continue misbehaving, but they can move back up. My team decided they would also lose 5 min. of recess as a consequence, even if they moved back up to green.)
Red- "Consequence" (This is if the misbehavior continues, or is severe like hitting or being disrespectful to a teacher they will move to it immediately. The "consequence" depends on the action, but includes loss of entire recess and a reflection sheet. It might also include an office referral, phone call home, etc. depending on how bad)

To me, this is confusing. I rarely had students move their clips last year because I felt missing 5 minutes of recess hours after you were talking too much seemed dumb. So, mine got away with a lot of little things. I think I want to get rid of the predetermined consequences. I think maybe they should move to yellow as soon as I say something to them so that they know the next step will be a consequence (i.e. time away from the group, etc.) Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to move back up and will circle and describe in their planners why they got a warning and/or consequence? It's really hard to make these two fit together.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net