ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Need some advice!
View Single Post

emg123

Hi Amytee63
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish that had some magic advice for you, but unfortunately I do not. I am glad that for the most part Responsive Classroom is going well for you. For difficult child #1, I would contact the parents and explain to them what is going on. I would suggest that they try to get an earlier appointment. Perhaps they could get on a cancellation wait list or tell their doctor that it is extremely important that they get in to see him/her before a month's time. Getting the meds adjusted asap will benefit both the individual child and the whole class, not to mention you!

When I read your description of child #2, it reminded me of a student that I had for two years on a row. (I teach a 2/3 mulitage class.) Her behavior was just like your child #2 in Kindergarten. Her mother refused to have her evaluated because she had a bad experience with special education regarding her son in another city. I had her for second and third grade. She would scream, crawl under tables, flop down on the floor, bolt from the room, etc. Her behavior was extremely disruptive and so much time was wasted on her emotional outbursts that could have been better used on teaching and learning! Our hands were tied because her mom refused to have her evaluated. By the end of third grade she began to get physical with others and would make threats like "I'm going to kill ______!" She was suspended a few times. FINALLY her mom agreed to testing! Her behavior was escalating out of control. Because of my experience, I think that your school psychologist should come in and observe. Punishment will not deter the behavior. This child has emotional issues that need to be addressed asap. The longer you wait, the more the bad behavior will escalate.

Sorry I could not give you a Responsive Classroom fix, but this goes beyond what RC alone can fix.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net