ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Help with take a break
View Single Post

mobleya

take a break..
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was waiting to see if Mrs. R would respond before me- she's so much better at this than I am, but I'll give it a shot

I would wait it out. As long as he's in the room where he can still listen to the lesson, then no harm done if he's not ready to come back. He's probably hoping to get a rise out of you. So when you ask him if he's ready and he says no, just say OK and keep moving on.

If he's disruptive to the rest of your class while taking a break, I would give him a reminder of what taking a break looks like. If it continues, maybe say something like "oh, it looks like we need to practice taking a break"- similar to Daily 5, if a student needs to practice it can be done at recess, but it should NOT take up all of recess time. When I have a student practice with me we discuss why we need to take a break (to get control of our bodies so we're ready to learn), what taking a break looks like, sounds like, feels like. Then we practice about 3 times and the student is off to the next activity.

And no, this will not be the only time that student needs to practice! Try to see practicing self control and discipline just as you see practicing academic areas. Slow and steady...

I hope that helps and good luck!!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net