ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Daily 5 and Writing Workshop
View Single Post

yellowdaisies

Daily 5 and Writing Workshop
Old 06-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I loved Daily 5 when I taught 1st and used it successfully. Last year was my first year in 5th. I used reading and writing workshop but missed the Daily 5 structure. I would like to do Daily 5 and CAFE next year, upgraded for my big kids, of course.

Here are the options I'm thinking of:
1. Stick to Daily 5 format and have students choose when they do work on writing, not necessarily right after the writing lesson. Some free writing, some a continual piece that we are working on. I am planning to have a checklist where students have a certain number of each rotation required each week, so they wouldn't be able to just do it once a week or something.
2. Use the writing workshop format and ALL students must do work on writing after the writing mini lesson.
3. Maybe a combination of both, depending on what we're working on? Daily 5 does give a lot of freedom.

What do you think? I'm especially curious about what other upper elementary teachers do. I would really love to see schedules if possible. I have 90 minutes for all of ELA 3 days a week (split into 60 and 30), and 120 uninterrupted minutes 2 days a week.

I'm finding it's a lot trickier to figure out a schedule in 5th because I have much less time for ELA than I did in 1st, and I'm trying to find time for longer rotations (hoping for 30 min).

Thank you for your help!

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net