ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - transitional kindergarten centers
View Single Post

overthemoon

transitional kindergarten centers
Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering how you do your center time. I teach a transitional kindergarten class and have always done 2 centers a day that were a half hour each. The children pick where they want to go and stay there for 30 minutes and then we pick again. It seems the thinking now though is to let the children have more choices about their learning and go from center to center whenever they want. I tried that this year and am having problems. Some pf the children just can't seem to focus for more than a few minutes. They flit from center to center to center and never accomplish anything. Others pick the same center over and over and never go to writing or books. Some of the children are also forming little cliques and move from center to center together and never play with other children. I have one group who will change centers if an "outsider" comes into their center to play. This didn't happen when we chose 2 centers because they didn't always get into the center their friends did and since they were there for 30 minutes, they became involved in what they were doing. I want to do what is best for the children and allow them to choose where they play, but I just feel this isn't working. Does anyone else have a successful way of doing centers?

overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net