ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Play article?
Thread: Play article?
View Single Post

ElizabethJoy

Play
Old 12-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry you have to do this! You'd think common sense would be enough

Tons of good stuff here (copy and paste the link): https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...+in+kindergart .

Although I am allowed to include a fair bit of free play time in my classroom, I do also sneak a lot of play-based activities into my curriculum. For example, one of our centres is always an imaginative play activity tied to a book we have read. Usually it would be one of our felt sets, (we have animals, farms, circus theme etc), our lego, blocks, or treehouse playsets and they can role-play scenarios based around something we have read e.g. building the houses from the three little pigs out of lego and re-enacting the story. In reality, I don't care if they are retelling the exact story we read or just doing their own thing. Either way, they're still working on their fine-motor, vocabulary, problem solving skills etc. But if someone asks, the activity is tied to curriculum.

Free-range STEM activities are also a good way to get kids playing without ticking off admin who don't understand the importance of play e.g. they are not playing, they are designing structures and creatures with pipe cleaners and pom poms. (and then playing with them....shhhh...)
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net