ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Getting a TK student. Advice please!
View Single Post

LaFish

Old 02-08-2020, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Isn't it interesting how different districts handles issues? I read that some districts do not require teachers to turn in weekly lesson plans and others do not. I also read that some districts pay $$ for unused sick days and some do not. But I digress...

Our district used to have classes for those that were "too young" for first grade in a pre-first grade class. It was not required but offered to parents. Many parents recognized the benefit of this class. At one time there were 4 pre-first grade classes. Another teacher friend had a class that were in a transitional first grade class. All of these classes were there to help those students in a developmental appropriate setting.

Currently, our district dissolved those pre-first grade classes. And many of my friends are teaching classes mixed with TK students and kindergarten students. I did too for a short time. I happily retired.

I would do the same as TeacherPk6 stated. I would try to include the student in many of the activities as possible. Yes, having him sit on the floor/rug as the other students do and adjusting activities for his level. For example, I had a listening center. After students listened to the story, they had to write a sentence and draw events about the story. Your TK student may have to draw/scribble a picture of the story and maybe act it out with puppets. I am sure that you will find that he may learn many appropriate behavior and other things just from being in the class with good role models. Who knows? Maybe he may gain lots and go on to first. If not, he sounds like he is in good hands with you. And I think he will be blessed to have you next year.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net