ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Heggerty phonics curriculum
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 02-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you mean the phonemic awareness curriculum, we use it (if there's a separate phonics curriculum, I haven't heard of it). We used to use 95% group PA which is a whole lot of prep and materials to deal with. Heggerty is so easy- 0 prep- you just open the book and do that day's activities. I refer to them as "listening warm ups" with kids. It covers a lot each day.

I'm a sped teacher and had found success with going down to lower levels for my struggling learners- i.e. my 1st group is currently doing the pre-k curriculum. I was really liking it and then recently hit a wall where the activities suddenly got much more difficult and they can no longer do them. I've honestly always struggled with teaching PA. IDK what to do if students simply can't hear it. I asked our district "reading expert" who brought all of this and she just kept saying I needed to go down to lower level skills . Yeah, they can do those. They can't do the next steps. I'm thinking about pulling out 95% again, but I had the same situation there- I would teach the same concepts over and over again (with visuals, manipulatives, and direct instruction- which Heggerty doesn't have) and they just couldn't hear it. That said, my 2nd grade group is still going strong using the K level curriculum. You probably wouldn't have these difficulties in a gen ed setting.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net