ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - student led conferences
View Single Post
cray0laskies

cray0laskies

Our conferences
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I LOVE doing Student-Led conferences! We do them once a year, but I'm thinking about upping that to 2 or 3 times a year because they're so effective. I teach a middle school 6th grade class, so out kids have 4 separate teachers. The week before conferences, we give them a script in each class and help them fill in the blanks. It truly is a SCRIPT - almost like what you read for state testing - so that each kid says the same thing. We've discovered this is much more effective because it leaves so little up to chance or a kids' interpretation. They read the script and fill in the blanks with the work samples they've chosen, practice a few times, and are ready to go! We color code the scripts (blue paper for math, pink for LA, etc) and this seems to help a lot too. Each script ends with "Do you have any questions about _______?" and a few questions for the kid and parent to discuss and answer together (like "What should I do to improve?")

The biggest thing is to have the kids prepared. We make them practice with peers in class, have a checklist for what to bring, and stress that THEY are in charge. They love walking into school with their parents feeling like they're more knowledgeable than their parents - they know where to go, what to do, and what to say, and the parents follow along bewildered. It's a funny change from Open House night Each of us makes a point to stop by each conference, usually when we see the kid with our colored script in hand (the conferences are going on simultaneously - sometimes as many as 12 between all our rooms). The KIDS are responsible for introducing us (we teach them how to do this), and that gives us a chance to either pop in with some information about the kid or just ask how things are going.

I'll try to track down my LA script and attach it soon.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net