ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Everyday Mathematics
View Single Post

dolphin5

EDM Fan
Old 06-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too am a fan of EDM. I have used it for several years now and see a huge improvement in the students and my math scores. I love how this program teaches the kids many different algorithms to use. Be aware, however, it can stress out some parents. When I am starting a new unit, I will have the kids write samples on the back of the homework page to help show the parents what they are supposed to be doing. Each year we have a family math night so parents can come in and preview/learn the games in their grade level. I also spend much of the time at a white board with parents going over lattice, partial quotients division and more.

I start my math session with a mult./div. skills practice (my own) and then do the warm up. The kids use small white boards (slates) they have in their desks. I will sometimes follow along with the book, but will also structure it to the needs of my class. We do the math message and then the lesson. I try to get to the math boxes and games each day, but can't always. I have a flex day on Fridays to get caught up on the weeks boxes and to play some of the games.

Also, be sure to check out the University of Chicago website. There is an area for teachers and one for parents as well. I give the parents this web address at Back to School night in case they need it as a reference.

dolphin5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net