ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 4th grade picture books
View Single Post

Mariely

4th Grade Picture Books
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Some of my favorite picture books to use with my 4th graders are:

The Three Questions by Jon J Muth (based on Leo Tolstoy)
I even created a reading booklet for the students to complete while I read the story aloud to them. Another book by the same author is Zen Shorts.

Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
Great to read aloud at the beginning of the year to spark conversation about making friends with new people.

Books by Margie Palatini some of which include:
  • Bedhead
  • Piggy Pie
  • Broom Mates
  • Zoom Broom
The last three mentioned above are based on the same character, Gritch the Witch. I always love to read Piggy Pie (first book with Gritch) and use a witch's voice when I read it. Students LOVE these books. The Bedhead book is super funny and has onomatopoeia in it. I also get into character when reading these books.

All Books by Chris Van Allsburg
I end up doing an author study with these.

All Books by Patricia Polacco
A favorite one to start the year is Thank You, Mr. Falker (as also mentioned above). I even have students recreate the beginning when the grandfather pours the honey on the cover of the book. I actually give students a graham cracker and I drizzle honey over it. I also created a reading booklet for students to complete while I read this story aloud. Another MUST read Patricia Polacco book to go along with this one is The Bee Tree which is based on her mother as a young girl and has the same concept at the end of the book as the beginning of Thank You, Mr. Falker.

All Books by Janet Stevens some of which include:
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Plaidypus Lost
  • Tops and Bottoms
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!
  • The Big Dog
  • Jackalope
  • The Little Red Pen
  • Epossumondas
Her books are really funny and they really engage students in reading. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person along with her sister who co-writes the books and they are a great inspiration.

All Books by David Wiesner some of which include:
  • Flotsam
  • Tuesday
  • Sector 7
  • June 29, 1999
  • Free Fall
  • Hurricane
His books are very quirky and have very unusual interesting thing things happen in them. In addition, most of his books are more pictures than words so they may be used to inspire students to write about what's going on in the pictures and how they relate to the book. I LOVE his books. They are absolutely amazing!

Those are the main picture books that pop in my head. If I think of others, I'll add them to the list. Take care!
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net