ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - A Screaming Teacher
View Single Post

StellatheSub

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think that you were put in a no win situation. If the teacher doesn't have any procedures in place that are positive, despite you being kind and positive, I think it will be a struggle. How do I know this? From experience and from being placed in an urban environment during student teaching, plus subbing in Urban environments for two years. The ones that work, have teachers that are positive and firm. If you want to be a positive influence, that's great, but you will also have to be firm. You are the boss and the alpha and you will need to let them know that you are not there for nonsense and not there to play. Screaming isn't good, no, but you do need to have an "authoritative" tone. Does that make sense? This means "no you can't go get a drink" while you are talking. Don't let students walk up to you while you are giving directions or teaching the lesson. You don't have to call on every single person. You are there to do business, the business of learning. Being firm is the kindest thing you can do, because that means you are actually able to do some teaching. Good luck!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net