ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Constant emails
Thread: Constant emails
View Single Post

apple annie

Old 09-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach second grade. One of my four classroom rules is "Get permission before you leave your seat." I have to enforce it strictly. Otherwise, I have kids walking up to me to tell me a story, to show me their work, to ask me a question, etc. In second grade, most of them have no sense of what an interruption is. I give ONE warning, along with a very stern and disappointed look. Next time is a trip to my time out area. The first week or two of school is hard because they will look very hurt and say, "but I was just showing you my pretty drawing. I was just getting a tissue. I was just going to ask you if I could go to the bathroom, " etc. It doesn't matter why. Be super consistent and they will learn. Now we're a month into school and it's no longer an issue. But if you tolerate it at all, they'll drive you insane being out of. And no, students are NOT allowed to read books while I'm giving instruction!

I would just kindly but firmly say to mom, "I don't allow students to be out of seats without permission. I don't allow students to read while I'm teaching." Say it as many times as necessary, broken record style. No other explanations needed.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net